FAITH AT HOME DURING QUARANTINE
The home environment is the first place that a child experiences the knowledge of and love of God. Parents are the first resource for children’s questions regarding humanity, God, and faith. We want to help you and your family find ways to incorporate your Christian faith into your daily lives. In these strange days of COVID-19, many resources are being made available to support families in their time away from the church and Sunday school hour. We will be updating this page with those resources as they are made available.
Catechesis of the Good Shepherd is updating their COVID-19 response webpage almost daily. They have scripture charts, tips for making prayer cards, and many more ideas for parents to engage their children in spiritual formation. It appears that more pages will be added for Holy Week as well.
Church publishing has begun making some books free for download for a short time during this crisis. Check out these titles:
- Candle Walk – This picture book walks the parent and child through the Compline service. A great bedtime read for the younger child.
- What We Do in Lent – This activity book has pages for coloring and engaging the elementary aged child in the meaning of Lent.
- Call on Me – This prayer book was designed for teens and contains daily devotions and prayers.
Liturgy Publications has several offerings for developing children’s faith at home for free as well. A compilation can be found here. Two worth noting are:
- Children’s Daily Prayer which has a page for leading prayer each day in the home.
- The Living Word which contains reflections on Sunday’s gospel readings for teens.
If your child is struggling with anxiety during this health crisis, this article is a comforting and informative read.
Wendy Claire Barrie is the author of Faith at Home and has many resources on her personal website for supporting a child in the faith and for addressing children’s question during this time of isolation.
The Diocese of the Central Gulf Coast has published a resource for families called Holy Week at Home 2020. This is Resources for worship and devotion at home, with friends or via the internet during the pandemic of 2020. Those amazig resources can be accessed here:https://files.constantcontact.com/77805af7001/82e43ab0-099a-4ff0-b3d2-fc2480b30335.pdf